Home Buyer Education, Down Payment Assistance, and Mortgages

Buying a home is the "American Dream".  It is usually the single largest investment a person will ever make.  The Wyoming Community Development Authority (WCDA) is Wyoming's housing finance agency. The City strongly encourages any first-time home buyer to participate in home buyer education classes.  WCDA also has funding available for first-time home buyers for down payment assistance as well as mortgages.

Rental Assistance

The Casper Housing Authority provides vouchers and public housing for persons who earn at or below 50% of the area median income.  Due to the housing demand, it is possible you will have to sign up on a waiting list.  This is not an immediate assistance program.  The Housing Authority is the Property Management agency of Life Steps Campus, and is located at 145 N. Durbin Street, Casper, WY, 82601.  They can also be reached at (307) 266-1388.

Landlord Tenant Laws

Wyoming's Landlord/Tenant laws are found in Title 1, Chapter 21, Article 12

of the state statute.  Landlord and tenant issues are often complex.  If a problem cannot be resolved, then the renter may contact an attorney or Legal Aid Services of Wyoming located at 441 South Center Street, Suite 200 or by calling 237-5266.


Fair Housing

The Fair Housing Act prohibits discrimination in the sale, rental, and financing of dwellings, and in other housing-related transactions, based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, family status (including children under the age of 18 living with parents of legal custodians, pregnant women, and people securing custody of children under the age of 18), and handicap (disability).  The Fair Housing Act also prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, or national origin in programs and activities receiving federal financial assistance.  The State of Wyoming does not have a Fair Housing Office.  If there is a question whether or not an issue between a landlord, tenant, lender or other member of a real estate transaction is a violation of the Fair Housing Act, contact the Denver Fair Housing Office through the Regional U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development at (303) 672-5437, or toll free at 1-800-877-7353.  TTY services are available at (303) 672-5248.